Since 2000, EIN has led the effort to make the Hydrogen Electric Vehicle a reality. Today, you can own a car whose only emission is water.
Energy Independence Now (EIN) is the only nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) and hydrogen-fueling infrastructure— a cornerstone of a clean energy and transportation economy. EIN engages in comprehensive research, strategic policy advocacy and public outreach to stimulate the widespread adoption of fuel cell vehicles as a key component of a zero-emission transport future.
Our primary focus is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and particulate matter from the transportation sector by advancing clean hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles. EIN works closely with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the California Energy Commission (CEC), state legislative offices, industry leaders and other NGOs to ensure effective implementation of the key incentives, regulations and funding programs that address climate change. EIN leverages the experience it has gained working on technology-specific regulations (biodiesel, hydrogen, electric vehicles) to provide direct input on the design and language of new and revised regulations to accelerate the deployment and adoption of fuel cell vehicles and other alternative fuel options.
What We've Achieved
- Developed the initial framework for California’s “Hydrogen Highway.”
- Created the initial models and maps of the hydrogen fueling infrastructure.
- Co-authored California Senate Bill 1505. SB 1505 created the first standard for renewable hydrogen.
- Ensured hydrogen fueling infrastructure was included in AB118 Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program.
- Successfully promoted inclusion of renewable hydrogen mandate.
- Supported and helped develop California Energy Commission plan to publicly fund the first 100 hydrogen fueling stations.
- ARFVTP advisory board